What is a Domain name ?A Domain name is an identification or address for your website. A domain name is always unique. Your customers will be directed to your website when they type the URL or Domain name in their browser.
The next step after you choose an appropriate website builder is to choose a domain name.
Always choose a domain name matching the theme of your website. Never choose a long or confusing domain names which can't be remembered easily. A short and meaningful domain name is always a good choice and the website gets lots of visitors.
A good, short and meaningful domain name has quality visitors and enhances the impression of the website or business.
Choosing a domain name is very easy. You will find a large number of registrars on the internet who provide domain names. Just go to the registrar's website and search for your domain name. You can choose among the various extensions like .Com, . Net, .Online, .Biz, .Edu, .In etc. The price of the domain name is also shown along with the availability. You can choose the domain name and register it for 1 year to 10 years duration. The registrars also offers a number of other features like custom email address, shared hosting solutions, SSL Certificates, hiding registration details etc for additional cost.
The most popular and reliable domain name and hosting providers are:
1) GoDaddy : GoDaddy is one of the world's largest Internet domain registrar and web hosting company. It has approximately 17 million customers worldwide. It provides services like domain name, web hosting, business emails, SSL Certificates, website builder, website security etc. It has a dedicated and world class customer support.
2) BigRock : BigRock is a leading domain name registrar in India. It provides website solutions to small businesses and individuals. It also provides hosting and domain names at an affordable price. It provides services like domain name, hosting, business email, cloud for business, G Suite etc.
3) Google Domains : Google Domains is a domain registration service which is managed by Google. It is currently in Beta stage. It offers domain registration, as well as few more services like private domain registration, DNS hosting, dynamic DNS, domain forwarding and email forwarding at no additional cost.
4) Hostgator : Hostgator offers domain names, web hosting, SSL Certificate, SiteLock and CodeGuard services to its users. It is a provider of shared, re seller, vps and dedicated web hosting services. You can search, register, transfer and manage your domain names with Hostgator.
5) BlueHost : Bluehost is one of the world's largest web hosting providers and it powers millions of websites. It provides world class WordPress web hosting solutions.
Bluehost provides affordable packages with free domain name and quality customer support.
It provides unlimited disk space, unlimited data transfer, unlimited email accounts, high performance servers, 99.9 % guaranteed up-time, 24/7 customer support etc.
Many websites also provide free domain names. But a free domain name is not good and doesn't have search engine visibility. So its always better to choose a paid domain name because it increases your website's search engine visibility and retention of visitors.
The above registrars also provide hosting plans as well where websites created through offline software and applications can be hosted. Hosting is nothing but providing of a sufficient space to store your website files. Hosting is not required for websites created through online website builders.
6 Tips for choosing a domain name
1) Keep it short : Choose a domain name which is short and easy to remember. If your domain name is long then there are high chances of your customers mistyping it.
2) Use Keywords : Use keywords which matches with the theme of your business, because it improves your page ranking and hence increases traffic to your site.
3) Avoid hyphens and numbers: Choose a domain name without a hyphen or number because this creates confusions in typing. Users may forget to type the number or hyphen and may get re-directed to a different site.
4) Easy to type : Choose a domain name which easy to type and avoid using slang because it makes it difficult to find your site.
5) Choose the right Domain name extension : Whenever you choose a domain name you will be shown availability of different extensions like .com, .online, .biz, .net, .edu, .org etc. Its always advisable to choose a .com extension as it is the best and easy to remember.
6) Take help from domain name generators: Take the help of a domain name generator for choosing a domain name. You just need to type a keyword and they would give you plenty of suggested domain names.
I believe this helps you out in choosing a right domain name.
Kindly share this post or comment below if it has been useful for you.