Wix is a very powerful and popular platform for creating business and personal websites with an ease. It allows users to create HTML sites through the easy drag and drop website builder.
Wix offers plenty of attractive and stunning templates to its users through which you can create a beautiful website. You can create a mobile version of your website as well through Wix. It also allows you to link your website through a custom domain. If you have a custom domain name that you have purchased from somewhere else, you can link it to your site or you can purchase a domain name from within Wix site.
Wix offers both free and paid plans for website development. However the free plan has limited features and tools. If you want to create a business website you can go for the paid plan with additional benefits and tools.
In this post I will share with you how you can start a website in Wix with the free plan and later on upgrade to a premium version. Just follow the steps below:
1) Open the Wix homepage by typing www.wix.com in your browser address bar. Then click on Start now button.
2) The Signup page will open where you need to type your email address and choose a password for your account. You can even signup with your Google or Facebook account from the right hand side.
3) On the next page you will be asked to answer a few questions about the website that you want to build. You can answer the questions or skip.
If you choose to answer the questions Wix will automatically create a website for you as per the theme of your website. If you wish to do it yourself then click on the "Choose a template" button.
4) Choose a template as per the theme of your website from the templates page.
5) Once you take the mouse pointer on the template you will get two options. Click on " View" button to check the preview of the template or click on "Edit" to go to the Wix Website Editor.
6) On the left side of the page, click on the first icon " Menus and Pages". You can add a new page to your website by clicking on the "Add Page" button at the bottom. You can also navigate to the other pages of your site through this menu.
7) Click on the + icon on the left side to add various widgets, tools, forms, button, store, member's area, videos, images etc to your site.
8) Add content to your website and click on "Save" at the top right corner of the page. Click on "Preview" to see how your website will look in the browser.
9) Once you have created the pages of your site and added content you can publish your site and make it live for others to see. You can either choose to go for a free domain or connect your own customized domain. If you choose a free domain option, your website URL will be something like this: www. yourwebsitename.wixsite.com
10) Click on "Save and Continue". Your website is ready now.